Saturday, February 1, 2014

Carrot Puff

I don't know about you, but this time of year, I like bright food.   [And brownies.]  

Brownies aside [for the moment], I've pulled out my favorite carrot recipe.  This carrot puff is a quasi souffle.  It's light, but not fussy and no one cares how high it gets or if it falls.  It's that good.  Since I change things up a bit every time I make it, sometimes it's light and airy, but most of the time it's just a good old fashioned carrot casserole.  My recipe marries grated carrots and onions [and zucchini, if you have some in the freezer this time of year] with a delectable cheesy sauce.   Hello, Sunshine! 

This is a terrific vegetarian main dish and an excellent side for potlucks.   It's good warm or chilled.   Personally, I like it just a little warm.

I posted this recipe a few years ago when I started the blog and now that I have actual readers, I thought you might like to see it again without having to fiddle through the archives.   [Though fiddling through the archives is kind of fun.]

Robin's Carrot Puff
www.rurification.com


2-3 C shredded carrots [and zucchini, if you have some]
2 C shredded or chopped  onions
2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed.
3T butter [yes, the real stuff]

Cook that stuff in a pot until the onions are transparent.  It caramelizes everything and makes it sweeter.  Then add:

1/2 C oatmeal
1 tsp salt
pepper
a shake or two of nutmeg
1 1/2 C yogurt
1 C or more grated cheese
4 eggs, beaten

Put it all in a casserole dish and bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes.   I always bake mine in a blue dish because the orange and the blue look so pretty together.   Then I serve it on a blue plate.  It just tastes better in the blue dish.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...